Indiana Academic Standards (IAS) Grade 1
Units of Study (Click)
Reading: Foundations (RF)
- Fry Word Wall-Folder Size
- Fry Word Wall 1-100 Fry Word Wall 101-200 (I can’t find the website from which I downloaded this so if you created it or you find the site please let me know so I can link directly.)
- Word Work
- Synonym Triplets (Gr. 1)
- Whisper Wednesday–During Independent Reading students pick one book from their baggie to whisper read. Their goal is to improve fluency and expression. After 10 minutes they find a partner and read to each other.
- ABC Beg Sound Match
- Flitter, Flutter Butterfly Game
Reading: Literature (RL)
- Retell Tuesday–During Independent Reading students pick one book from their baggie to read and write down story elements in their Reader’s Response Journal, (RRJ). After 10 minutes they find a partner and retell the story using the book and their RRJ.
- Inference— (1:46) Quick video to start mini lesson
Reading: Nonfiction (RN)
- Feature Friday–Student partners are given a nonfiction text. Using a Find It sheet they hunt for text features in their book that they think are important to writing a summary. Together they write a short summary of the book in their Reader’s Response Journal.
Reading: Vocabulary (RV)
Argumentative–Proposal Writing video (2:26) to start mini lesson
Informative–Procedure Writing video (1:25) to start mini lesson
Time Order Words: unscramble-the-story-starter-1
The Research Process:
Media Literacy (ML)